Please welcome new users to the Aquaponics Association community forum!

Hello everyone,
I am very glad to found myself on this noble educative platform. I love this Aquaponics system of farming because, I want to produce fresh organic vegetables and herbs in my country Ghana. I haven’t started yet due to it huge financial needs. Please can someone help me get in contact with the any available support to bring my dream to reality.
Thank you.

Best regard,
DANIEL

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
I have researched aquaponics for years. I finally have my greenhouse aquaponics system built and set up. I live in the mountains of Utah USA which has a lot of variation in temps from summer to winter. I have a greenhouse built off a detached garage with the fish tanks in the garage and the growing area in the greenhouse. I plan to raise trout but I understand the water quality and temps are critical. My backup plan will be hybrid striped bass because tilapia is illegal in my state. I will do both DWC and dutch buckets (AutoPots). I look forward to the adventure.

Eric

4 Likes

Hello!

My name is Connor Schmitz. I am currently studying in Cornell University’s Controlled Environment Agriculture lab as an MPS student. I enjoy the prospect of utilizing preexisting and natural ecological processes alongside the always-progressing technologies of humankind. Although much regarding aquaculture and hydroponics, and therefore aquaponics, will benefit from optimization in the future, and similar agricultural methods that resemble aquaponics date back to ancient civilizations- I’m quite sure there is an important and ever-growing movement currently occurring. Most especially in educational and community realms, I’m hopeful it will continue to spread.
One of the capstone projects for my Master’s is to design and build a local high school a small aquaponics system, and thereafter provide them with a curriculum in using Aquaponics as a teaching resource. It’s been a thought-provoking and meaningful project, and I look forward to seeing more and more people passionately swept up by the notion of aquaponics. I am also starting a research project looking at rates of dissolved oxygen uptake by plants given aquaponic solution vs conventional hydroponic solutions.

I am also interested in looking into improved methods of growing heavy-feeders like tomatoes, peppers, and cannabis (although I’m mostly interested in food production); using aquaponic solutions.

If anything I’ve mentioned is interesting to you, don’t be afraid to reach out to me as I really enjoy speaking with other passionate people. I’m excited to be apart of this association, thank you!

3 Likes

Please give a warm welcome welcome to 2 new community members:

Please introduce yourselves by replying to this post or starting a new topic. We would love to know more about you.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for the warm welcome. :slight_smile: My name is Amber Monroe and I am originally from the U.S. I moved to Iceland a few years ago to complete a master’s degree in aquatic biology. I am almost done with the program and I am in the process of starting an aquaponics vertical farm business in the village where I live in northern Iceland. Looking forward to sharing the progress and following along with all of the other members and their projects! See you at this year’s conference! - Amber

5 Likes

That sounds amazing! I can’t wait to see updates.

3 Likes

Please feel free to post pictures and updates, we can also share them on social media if you’re OK with it.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
My name is Barbara Evans, and I am a Biology professor at Lake Superior State University. LSSU has several initiatives in aquaponics that I’d like to share.
The first is the Aquaculture Challenge, which is a competition for high school students that creates incentives for students to learn aquaponics. The competition is held online, with student teams designing and building a system, developing an automated or chemical monitoring procedure, as well as a business plan or outreach component. We have a website promoting youth education in aquaculture (www.ncrac-yea.org) where teams can go to find out information about aquaculture in their area. Although we are focused on the 12 states of the NCRAC region, the project could be expanded globally. This years competition just ended, but we will be starting the next round in Fall 2021. We are collaborating with Michigan Sea Grant on this competition; for more information contact me, or Elliot Nelson: [email protected]
Second, we have initiated new curriculum in aquaponics entrepreneurship. This is a two year associate of applied science, that gives students background in the biology and chemistry of aquaponics, as well as business, marketing, entrepreneurship, computer programming and automation. A link to the program can be found here: Lake Superior State University: Academic Catalog 2020-2021 - Aquaponics Entrepreneurship
We also have an active aquaculture club at LSSU that maintains several aquaponics systems, and sells their produce on campus and at the local farmer’s market. The club has recently been approved as a student subunit of the US Aquaculture Society, and is very interested in promoting aquaponics. For more information on the club activity see their website: https://jgrenn6.wixsite.com/lssuaquacultureclub or their Facebook page: Superior AquaSystems LLC - Home | Facebook
Finally we have recently received funding to address consumer understanding of farmed seafood. A component of this project involves workshops for high school teachers wanting to incorporate aquaponics into their curricula. We do hope to offer incentives for in person attendance, but are also looking at virtual options.
Overall, our goal is to address food security and educate students in all aspects of aquaponics.
Thanks for reading this far,
-Barbara

5 Likes

Please give a warm welcome welcome to 3 new community members:

Please introduce yourselves by replying to this post or starting a new topic. We would love to know more about you.

1 Like

Hello my name is David from Plainfield , Connecticut USA. I am a retired US Navy Veteran and I have been using some base knowledge technics recreationally in a 14’x24’ greenhouse that I purchased three years ago. I am thinking of attending Santa Fe Community College to further my knowledge to own my own business and provide my community organically grown fish and produce and potentially provide the local high school students internship training in technics on aquaculture and aquaponics. I am hoping by attending Santa Fe Community College will give me the tools to achieve my entrepreneurial goals. I have the determination, passion, problem solving abilities, Integrity, Teamwork, Leadership, Organization, Management and Dedication it take to become a Aquaponic entrepreneur.Tell me what you think!

3 Likes

sounds great! we are considering sante fe for our 2022 conference.

Santa Fe is a great place for a couple classes or if you end up going for an associate’s degree

Kentucky State University has an excellent online program I’m at KSU alum as is Professor Charlie Schultz who is the main instructor at Santa Fe

The reason why I’m going to Santa Fe is somewhat because his is there! I met Charlie at the 2019 Conference in Kentucky (KSU). My first reason was because of cost at a Large University, but if the VA is going to cover the cost, I may start my education at Santa Fe and then end up at KSU.
But the real question is that a biased answer or is it because they actually have the best program for the buck! Interested to know!

1 Like

I don’t know if I could say it’s an unbiased opinion but I can say from my point of view of being in the industry for the last 7 years That there is nowhere to get an equal education in aquaponics for the cost that Santa Fe Community College has it.

KSU offers other opportunities which may have benefits but it’s going to come at a cost.

I haven’t taken any classes at Santa Fe I know several people who have and love it. I did my bachelor’s and masters at KSU and I have taught privatized workshops for the last 3 years and have taken atleast 5 or 6 certificate course with other consultants and farmers

So take it as you will but that is my opinion but I would say it’s more based on experience than bias.

Please give a warm welcome welcome to 5 new community members:

3 Likes

Hello All

Thanks for such a warm welcome.

By the by, I am Kamal Gosh, a School the Agriculture and Applied Science faculty at the Langston University. I have been providing research and extension support related to aquaponics and aquaculture to our communities for years. Hence, please feel free to contact me if you need any technical information or would like to work in collaboration in this regard.

Sincerely,
Kamal
[email protected]

2 Likes

Glad to have you here, Kamal!

George,

I hope you don’t think I was discrediting KSU what so ever! KSU has an awesome facility and program, I went to the conference in 2019. I learned a lot in my short visit there and I was able to network with some members. So I thank for your opinion and hope to me you in OKC this year and maybe we could chat some more.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Please give a warm welcome welcome to 5 new community members:

2 Likes

Please give a warm welcome welcome to 12 new community members:

2 Likes