Welcome John Dobovan – A new community member!

Dear Aquaponics Association Community,

It is with great excitement that I introduce @JDobovan, the visionary force behind Maui Trout Company, to our dynamic community. John brings with him a unique journey in sustainable aquaponics that embodies resilience and innovation.

Maui Trout Company, Hawaii’s inaugural rainbow trout aquaponics endeavor, represents a decade of commitment and personal investment. Operating on a modest one-third acre, the company has showcased its dedication to sustainable practices, annually producing over 200,000 meals without the use of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.

While Maui Trout Company faced challenges common to undercapitalized small businesses, including the impacts of the pandemic and unforeseen natural disasters, John is actively steering the company towards a new chapter. A recent setback following the first commercial test of their trout aquaponics system has ignited a quest for revitalization.

Beyond the trials, Maui Trout Company is more than a story of challenges—it’s an opportunity for our community to come together and support one another. As we welcome John, let’s open the doors for meaningful conversations and network connections. Our collective strength lies in fostering an environment where knowledge and experiences are shared, ultimately helping each other grow.

Join us in extending a warm welcome to John and Maui Trout Company. Let’s seize this opportunity to spark valuable discussions, forge new connections, and contribute to the growth of our vibrant aquaponics community.

Feel free to share your thoughts, insights, and any support you can offer as we embark on this journey together.

Best regards,

Cori Byrge, Communications Director, Aquaponics Association

Welcome @jdobovan! I’d love to hear more about your challenges as we have just passed the one year mark of commercial growing and it has been wrought with setbacks. From extremely poor municipal water management, an aphid infestation (from a neighboring farm), and unseasonably cold weather this week in the southeast.

PM me, I’d love to chat and pick your brain!

Please forgive the tardy response, I was on a deadline. I’d be happy to talk to you, feel free to text or call: (808) 955-0955
John