The Role of Aquaponics in the Greater Picture of Agriculture

I would love to hear what your thoughts are on the role of aquaponics and how it fits in the larger picture of agriculture, soil farming, next gen urban farming, value chain, etc.

3 Likes

Im very interested the urban farming. Farm to table Aquaponics greenhouses to supply family owned businesses"restaurants and small community towns.

2 Likes

Good stuff. I think its perfect for urban farming too… I also found it interesting, was reading this piece and thought AP would be perfect at solving those scalability points:

2 Likes

where does it fit in NOW… vs where does it fit in 10 yrs from now, 100 yrs from now?

maybe by 2050 half of all ag production will be aquaponics?!? wishful thinking? necessary thinking?

1 Like

necessary long term goal.

1 Like

The global food supply situation has been laid out pretty cleanly by the Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome. Projected food demand through 2050 (newer and revised projections focused on 2030) is 70-100% over current food supplies. We have to double food production in the next 30 years. That is a daunting task. Can we simply keep putting more land into agriculture around the world? Can we achieve increased production of this magnitude by further genetic selection programs? Transgenic manipulation? Climate Smart agriculture? Perhaps. However, the rest of the picture is a very simple one (or, as one of our Board members calls it, stupid simple!). We currently use 70% of the global supply of freshwater producing food by conventional approaches. Math is not my strong suit, but I am pretty that if we double 70, we exceed the amount of freshwater available. We need to incorporate new food production systems and approaches that demand less water. Ironically enough, water-based food production systems demand less water than terrestrial crops and aquatic animals demand less water than mammalian or avian species. When we add the healthy food supplies targeted in aquaponics, the argument for expanded production from theses systems becomes even more compelling. There is resistance from wholesalers and retailers. This is a new food production system, so there is a lack of experience and trust of the products. One of my favorite quotes is “New ideas are guilty until proved innocent”, David Raup, University of Chicago. Aquaponics needs to continue educating key components of the global food supply chain AND consumers. I strongly suspect food supplies from aquaponic production systems will increase in the short term and become an important input into global food supply chains.

2 Likes