Temperature control for aquaponics in hood houses

Any successful experience for cooling and heating to make sure water temperature will be within the appropriate range year-round for the aquaponics in a hood house?

Thank you!

Bi

1 Like

The KSBA Aquaponic systems all use Geothermal heating and cooling as their method for temperature control for in regions with temperatures as low as -16C to +50C for their clients.
Clients having water in their system from 12k litre to 1.1Mil liter systems
Running more than 6 years supporting the Nile Tilapia fish at a constant 28C. The clients all have Solar, battery and wind turbine powering their systems. www.ksba.co.za

2 Likes

I ran a small scale commercial aquaponics greenhouse (35’ X 96’) in North Carolina for years, heating and cooling with an air to water swimming pool heat pump. A fairly efficient and practical solution.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!
Since your aquaponics is in a greenhouse, that means there is a heating and cooling system for warming/cooling the room air temperature, and you add the air to water swimming pool heat pump for further water temperature control. Did I understand it correctly?

My aquaponics will be in a hoodhouse/high tunnel without a heating or cooling system.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

Swimming pool heat pump adds heat to water in winter and cools the water in summer. Greenhouse also had roll up sides and fans. No other heating or cooling used!

Thank you!
Which brand of heater?
How many gallons of your aquaponics?

Send us your google earth location in order for other members to assess the climate, terrain and local natural resources to determine the most cost effective solution to answer your questions more accurately.

Your budget also helps to narrow down suggestions.

For hot climates, a windcatcher system with a evap walls and fly curtains would be the most effective and cheapest method for temperature control.

Google (Windcatchers or Windcatcher Greenhouse).

For cold climates, an on site anaerobic methane digester with livestock would be your wisest and cheapest investment because they produce heat, methane gas for heat & electricity, fertiliser and meat.

The anaerobic methane digester is fueled by the AP organic waste and slurry from livestock.