Share Your System and Win Free Virtual Conference Tickets!

Hi Aqua-Pioneers!

The Aquaponics Association is always seeking to reach new growers and expand the practice of aquaponics. We need YOUR HELP to show the public how awesome aquaponics can be!

That’s why we are asking you to share pictures and information about your aquaponic system that we can share on Social Media and reach new potential growers.

Please use this thread and upload a few pictures and write some information about your aquaponics system. Good information to include could be where your system is located; what you are growing; the size of your system; how much your system produces; unique stories or challenges; or anything else that may be of interest.

Anyone who posts an aquaponic system here that we choose to feature on our Social Media sites will earn one free virtual conference ticket to The 2021 OKC Aquaponics Conference this October 21-24. That’s a $199 Value!!!

2 Likes
  • History: System in operation since 2009
  • Objectives are training, growing for campus cafeteria and homeless feeding program, and research
  • Type of Growbeds: Expressions of DWC, media, NFT, and aeroponics
  • Size of plant growing area: 14 grow beds, 100 m2 in total
  • Size of fish tanks: 12 tanks ranging from 2,500 gal to 30 gal.
  • Type of fish: tilapia (nile x mossambique)
  • Annual fish production: 450-500 pounds
  • Type of plants: includes lettuce, kale, chard, bunching onions, basil, New Zealand spinach, arugula, beets, and bok choi.
  • Annual production lettuce: 4,500 pounds
  • Annual production of other plants: 10s to 100s of pounds (varies among years)

3 Likes

We need a few pictures too!

Thank you for the potential opportunity to share our Aquaponic systems if chosen via your social media platforms.

Location, Rayton, South Africa
History: in operation since 2015, Systems in 6 Country’s, From Desert to High altitude cold climates.
6 years of R&D and live real world testing of all the different methods (Vertical, Horizontal pipe/gutter systems, Dutch Bucket, Aeroponics) were found not to work Effectively or efficiently in aquaponics and a new media container (KSBA Gravel Barrel) was developed to eliminate anaerobic bacterial buildup in the Media bed systems where Fruiting crops grow better in conjunction with DWC for leafy and herb type vegetables.

These are the link’s to the different KSBA Aquaponic systems where all the relevant information and pictures at clients sites can be found.

Family KSBA Aquaponic system (6mx5m) to feed 6 to 8 people

Community, 300 square meter KSBA Aquaponic system

Light Commercial KSBA Aquaponic system, 33m x 75m, 25 Ton Fish, 75 Ton Fruiting crops, 300000 Leafy veg per year

Full Commercial KSBA Aquaponic system

Website to Kleinskuur Aquaponics (Little Barn Aquaponics)

3 Likes

sorry, I added them to the previous post.

1 Like

State College HS, State College, PA
This is a classroom demonstration system we designed and built to move between classrooms as needed. We’ve built three and will send them to the elementary schools so the kids can have a garden all school year.

1 Like

I don’t have any good photos yet, but I have this concept drawing from the plans for my backyard system.

(Although it will be perch for the whole system.)

2 Likes

When the COVID lockdown started, I had just finished assembling what I call the “MARS Vertical Garden” because it was originally used at the University of Arizona Controlled Environmental Agriculture Center at the University of Arizona to demonstrate the production of all the “other Crops” that would make life worth living on Mars. This time it was located in a third-floor spare bedroom with a southern exposer rather than a greenhouse at CEAC. Construction was really simple with parts from Lowes, Amazon and other local sources and took several days to assemble. At complete list and drawings are available from me at [email protected].

The idea was to demonstrate the production of leafy greens, lettuce, herbs, and other veggie crops that would supplement the basic diet of staples brought from Earth to Mars. To this end, a wide variety of crops were produced with very little effort on my part and with no major or minor maintenance problems. The systems has two media beds, 2 ft by 4 ft divided into eight growout zones by simple string dividers. Nutrient rich water from the reservoir flows continuously through the beds, discharges at one end through a standpipe into the reservoir at the bottom and is pumped back to each bed through a distribution diffuser at the other end. Lights are suspended above the beds and are on a 16 hour photoperiod. Water quality is continuously monitored using a very inexpensive classroom STEM educational system from Vernier, (www.vernier.com), including pH, several temperatures, conductivity, CO2 concentration, Relative Humidity and most recently PAR levels. Data is logged and stored in Excel file format for downloading and analysis.

Over the COVID lockdown numerous crops were produced ranging from several varieties of lettuce, herbs (Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Garlic, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Watercress) as well as veggie crops such as dwarf tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers (a lot of cucumbers!). The system worked remarkably well and yielded an abundance of crops from a “spare bedroom on the third floor”. Similar systems would find application in Sunrooms, patios, garages, even basements. Or more importantly in school STEM programs and maybe some day on Mars.

James M Ebeling, PhD
Retired Engineer
Huntsville, AL

3 Likes

A family system maintained in an 8x20 greenhouse (first year), previous years it was an open air systems… Located in SoCal. Approximately 25 tilapia in a 300 gallon tank feeding 3 grow beds and a small DWC system. I did have a row of 5 dutch buckets on another 300 gallon tank, but have discontinued it for now. All the plants became root bound within 6 weeks and clogged up drains. Currently growing tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, bell peppers, hot pepper, basil, green onions. Not a real productive year due to pest issues (mice/rats and squirrels). I think they are under control now. Always trying something new. A forever learning process.

3 Likes

Permaculture Based Aquaponics system near Austin Texas, designed and built by Tyaga Welch of Sustainable Humane Earth. Aquaponics system provided over 3000 heads of lettuce a month during winter, and 100’s of pounds of basil during the summer to local farmers markets and restaurants in the Austin area. This system also produced an abundance of red wiggler compost worms.

3 Likes

Tyaga Welch and the famous Rob Nash doubling the production of Austin Aquaponics amazing Aquaponics farm west of Austin Texas. Tyaga and Rob have been friends and colleagues since 2011 and have built countless commercial and family systems together.

4 Likes

We are FM Aquaponics, and we are owned by and operated for the benefit of a feeding ministry, Meals by Grace. We have a 5000 Sq. ft. greenhouse where we grow lettuces, peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes varieties.

4 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Amber and I am the owner of Ísponica, a newly-established vertical farm in Hólar, Iceland. I‘m originally from the Savannah, Georgia area. I‘ve been living here in Iceland since 2018, which is when I started my MSc at Hólar University, where I studied lumpfish. If you don‘t know what they are, they‘re a beautiful blue saltwater fish and you should check them out!

It‘s always been a dream of mine to become an aquaponic farmer. I knew after I finished my MSc in June of this year I wanted to do this for a living, so I began the process of creating Ísponica. The small village of Hólar holds a special place in my heart and I knew that this would be the perfect place to found the farm. One building in particular caught my attention – it is an old cow barn (you can see it in the photos) that has mostly been used for storage for at least the last 10 years or so. The building has also held many other things over the years – animals, a public aquarium, an apartment, and is currently home to our local pub and brewery. The original cow barn was built in 1914. Historical reports say it was considered the best cow house in northern Iceland when it was built. In 1948, the barn was renovated and added onto to increase the size of the building (Ísponica is now located in the newer part of the building). The silos you can see in the picture were built in 1950. The room where Ísponica is being set up used to be the public aquarium, which worked out perfectly as the old aquariums, pipework, and electrical were still in place. It was possible to re-purpose a lot of the aquarium setups and metal stands to use for plant grow racks, which is a big help to a small startup like this one.

Ísponica is starting out in the basement area (about 94 sq meters or around 1012 sq feet). My hope is that Ísponica does well and can grow into the second floor of the barn, which is even larger (about 294 sq meters or 3165 sq feet). The oldest part of the building (the original barn built in 1914, which is not counted in the second floor area) is around 97 sq meters or 1044 sq feet. The second floor of the barn needs some renovation, but there is so much potential in this building for Ísponica to grow into. I love that a new agricultural chapter is being written into its history.

Being in the rural area of Skagafjörður in northern Iceland, it can be tricky at times with fresh produce because most of it needs to be transported to us (whether from somewhere else in Iceland or from abroad). Ísponica will be able to grow year-round, which means locals will have direct access to its products regardless of weather conditions and seasons. While the snow is beautiful, it gets cold and dark during the winter in Iceland, you know!

The goal is to start out with microgreens and lettuce. I have also been asked about producing mushrooms and sprouts, which aren‘t necessarily grown aquaponically, but it will be a fun challenge to provide different food options for customers. I currently have some tilapia (not for eating) and goldfish to start off with. Hopefully in the next few years I can shift over to a system where I can grow fish to harvest for customers.

You can see in the photos I’m still going through the setup process but things are moving along. Growth trials will begin in the near future – if you‘re interested in keeping up with the progress, you can follow the Facebook page Ísponica (@isponicaverticalfarm) and Instagram (@isponicavf). The website will be made public soon.

Happy growing and I wish you healthy greens wherever you are!

Cheers,
Amber

4 Likes

wow, this is incredible Amber. So fun to see your vision and things progressing. We look forward to tracking the journey.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Marcelo I live in La Paz Bolivia, close from The Andes and El Altiplano in South America. I enjoy being an aquaponic farmer, my system is very small very but I learned from it a lot, I started from the scratch since I have a background of electronic engineer but this let me to control and monitor the parameters better since this information is stored in a base. I still have to make a lot of improvements but I on the way!

• Location: La Paz Bolivia, 3650 meter over the sea (11975 feet)
  • History: Operative since 2018
  • Objectives are family food supply, training and research
  • Type of Growbeds: Media and NFT
  • Size of plant growing area: 3 m2 in total
  • Size of fish tanks: 1 tanks 1.200m3 (317 galons).
  • Type of fish: trout
  • Annual fish production: 30Kg (66 pounds)
  • Type of plants: includes lettuce, basil, parsley, celery, Mentha spicata, chard

For more photos:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/KbEthh62M3KhxQsK7
2 Likes

Thanks Daniel, we’re excited for the next steps!

Hello every one, my name is Quoc Khanh Pham (it’s Khanh), I’m from Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam.

I would like to share with you all about our facilities and what we do here in O Plus Vietnam aquaponic farm. This is our fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/oplusvietnam/?ref=pages_you_manage

Our farm is located on a 1000m2 land in which there are 400m2 greenhouse, 45m2 fish barn and the rest is for office, harvesting and warehouse.

There are 3 systems being operated, 1 biger size for mature plants and 2 smaller ones for seedling and some vines. Multi varieties have been growing such as: Tatsoi, White pakchoi, Drawf pakchoi, Mizuna, Kale, red & green Mustard, Tokyo Bekana, shiso, basil, Japanese cucumber, and some lettuces like Magenta, Red and Green Oakleaf, Muir. To power and fertilize plants, red tilapia and Koi fishes are chosen.

Beside physical system, we also create a powerful app for managing all of farms operations and scheduling all tasks automatically. Workers can see their daily tasks, take tasks via specific QR code and report them on mobiles divices.

With this tool, all of plant batchs are defined before starting, attatched with particular cultivation procedures in which time tables, steps and even instructions are defined. Farmers like us can track the exact number of plants being grown whenever we need. Issues like insect attacking or disease infecting are notified in no time together with scouting actions by every one, then treatments will happen later on.

Together with this brief, I attach some picture for your further reference. I wish to have a chance to talk and share more about our exciting farm in the near future.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Low cost Aquaponic setup
Greenhouse :2800 sqft
Grow area :1200 sqft
Water :50,000L
Aquaculture Method :In Pond Race Way (IPRS)
Fish per grow area :6 per sqft
Vege growing method : Vertical Sprinkle system
Vege per grow area :20 per sqft
Investment on hardware : USD 8.75 per sqft
Harvest per year : 10,000kg vege, 7,500kg Tilapia
State :Selangor