Legionella pneumophila in aquaponics

Dear All,

I am trying to build a indoor aquaponic system. Because it will be situated in a public space, there are some concerns about legionella pneumophila in aquaponics.

Does anyone have some scientific research, about the risk of leqionella building up in aquaponics. Before I may build my system, I have to proof the safety of the system.

1 Like

Good question. @arvindvenkat or @potentponics do you have info on this?

Some great info the WHO puts out. Lots of info out there on systems management in general and water safety. Drop me a line of you want to discuss. Sounds like an interesting project you have on the go. Good luck!

1 Like

We have not had any cannabis systems test positive for it I can tell you that. I would suspect tho LABs might be a possible treatment. I have a hard time believing Legionella would live long in a properly inoculated aquaponic system. The only microbes we have detected ever are Ecoli and we have yet to find any that were human pathogenic but that family we have found in a few systems. We used LABs at a dose of 1:1000 system volume to eliminate them each time with 100% success rate.

3 Likes

Can you define LABs for us? Thanks

LABs or Lactobacillic Acid Bacteria Serum is a fermented solution used around the world for soil farming in many different ways that is made primarily from rice wash, milk, and a microbial inoculant. LABs is used in some form across the world in the Carribean as a 3 - 4 week ferment, in korea as a few day ferment and in africa and other parts of asia in a variety of lengths. Traditionally LABs is taught as a air collected microbial inoculant collected on rice wash and added to milk to ferment it and separate the lactic acid. The combination of yeasts and Lactobacilli break down the plants and provide a rich array of amino acids, Vitamin B complexes and other plant beneficial compounds. The yeast and lactobacilli also love to feed on Ecoli, Salmonella, Listeria, and other illness causing pathogens as well making them the best go to option for maintaining regular system health. They also break down fish waste into more mineralized forms and also eliminate plant pathogens like root rot, septoria, and other root pathogens. You’d be silly not to be using it given all of its benifits.

The vitamin B varieties that LABs produces increases both fish and plant growth rates considerably. You can further improve this by fermenting certain plants with desired growth compounds as well such as with Super LABs or Plant LABs where you ad plants or other natural inputs to further boost your LABs effectiveness.

Think of it as a new option to go next to compost teas in your tool belt. What minerals you can unlock thru AACT will be vastly different than those same inputs in an LABs solution in many cases the LABs solution provides a better break down as it has much less oxygen and can redox much better.

The part you use is the clearer thinner middle layer to a dilution of 1:1000.

Contrary to one wacky person I heard its not from the stomach lining of a cow many lactobacilli are actually from soil or cultured from other sources unrelated to milk entirely.

LABs needs to be used on all commercial farms for food safety sake. Not only does it boost your yields it keeps your system clean at the same time. Probiotics is the food safety of the future not over engineered systems with UV and other things that screw up your nutrients and don’t actually guarantee food safety. We need to use our natural allies instead of trying to sterilize everything all the time it only creates new super bugs.

Here is a great guide to traditional LABs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ke4OQljVmg&ab_channel=ChrisTrump

I prefer to also ad Kefir Grains to my traditional LABs as it ads alot more vitamin B and ferments faster when those are also added post air collection.

Heres a guide from the university of Hawaii again in further testing we have found also adding Kefir grains increases efficacy.

4 Likes

Is the link to Uni Hawaii missing?