Introduction - Thomas Bjelkeman

Hi everyone, I am Thomas Bjelkeman-Pettersson. I am managing director of Johannas Stadsodlingar AB (Urban Farms) in Stockholm, Sweden. We are a team of six people who are setting up large scale circular food production systems, with a focus on aquaponics. We have an indoor aquaponics facility 40 km north of Stockholm, which is our pilot facility. It uses a 300 m2 part of a former cow barn, a well insulated building. We have 100 m2 active growing area (Deep Water Culture) and two fish tanks of 9 m3 each. The complete system contains about 34 m3 water. We are currently in the planning process for a facility which will be significantly bigger. We can be found online at: https://www.johannas.org

We have research funding from the Swedish Innovation Agency to work on food waste as feed for insects, to have insects become fish feed. This project is just starting and involves five companies in Sweden.

We document our project work, engaging 15 companies, academic institutions and government bodies at our website (which unfortunately is only in Swedish at this point): http://cirkularodling.se

We are very interested in collaborating with others in Europe around aquaponics, so don’t hesitate to contact me.

4 Likes

Extremely interesting. Thanks for posting. Question about your mealworms. Will you need to process them or feed directly to the fish?

1 Like

Actually that is something which the project will investigate. There are different regulations regarding live feed and processed feed, as well as energy requirements that differ (drying the insects larvae), that makes this interesting to look at in more depth.

1 Like

Thank you. I will look forward to hearing what you learn.

1 Like

Good morning everybody, good morning Thomas.
My name is Gyslain Rigo and I have an aquaponic project in development progress in the South of Portugal, Algarve.
I am looking for a partner that will be interested to collaborate and support us in the investigation of which best fish species (2 types) and technological practices will be best suited for an aquaponic system developed in the environmental conditions of the Algarve region (South of Portugal).
I believe that the sharing of this expertise is important to accelerate the knowledge development of aquaponic systems, as an emerging green technology for the future.
It will be my pleasure to share with you the ideas on the different point of the project and see with you how we could turn this into a mutual research project partnership.
Gyslain

2 Likes

working on a similar project at my farm & R&D Center in Malaysia. My target is to provide a system to a local orphanage next year. I produce giant fresh water prawns, so want to integrate these to Aquaponics. [email protected]

1 Like