How's the first large commercial aquaponics going?

While googling, I read that “The first large scale commercial aquaponics facility, Bioshelters in Amherst, MA, was established in the mid-1980s , and it is still in operation today.”

Does anyone know more details about this first large-scale Aquaponcis? Thanks.

I havent heard anything about them.

Our Board Member @Eddytiv is from Mass. Ed, have you heard of them?

Hi Brian and others,

I know nothing about this Bioshelter in Amherst.

Sorry,
Ed Tivnan

I found the Waterfield Farms in Amherst was also known as bioshelters. They make their own plant-based tilapia pellets mainly with grasses. But they don’t look like a 40 years old business, and was recently closed due to loss of lease.

Does anyone know of a commercial aquaponics consultant or group I can talk to about getting a center up and going? I’m hoping to get an operation up and going by end of year.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

@bozeman We would be happy to speak with you about your project and see if we are a good fit for you. One benefit to us is that we don’t sell equipment so rather than trying to sell you specific system or equipment. we work with trusted consultants and equipment suppliers all over the world to find who and what works best for your unique scenario.

Here is a contact form you can fill out
https://share.hsforms.com/1gscLHCy5RVO44OOfOYMuxg52fw9

You can check out our website at Regenaquaculture.com

Hi George,

I just filled out your form. I checked out your site. Definitely want to talk with you.

Will Bozeman

Hi Will, We offer complete systems, training, grower support and supplies and have our systems in 35 countries and nearly every US state. Feel free to check out our website at www.aquaponics.com and let us know if we can be of assistance.

BioShelters was one of the first large aquaponic farms and you are correct it was in Amherst, MA. It closed many years ago, which is the case with most of the very early adaptations of aquaponics which were not very efficient or profitable because of the complex and unproven designs. It did, however demonstrate the potential of commercial aquaponics and the founders are due credit for their contributions to our industry.

We publsihed the Aquaponics Journal from 1997 - 2003, 62 issues in all, and there were articles about BioShelters as well as many of the other pioneers of aquaponics. All of the back issues of the Aquaponics Journal are still available on our website www.aquaponics.com

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. The Waterfield Farms / Bioshelters must be a different company then. I purchased a CD of your journals a long time ago before I began practicing Aquaponics. It’s a pity the journal’s ended.