FoodChain, a nonprofit in Lexington, KY, USA is hiring for a full time Aquaponics Educator:
Position: Aquaponics Educator
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Location: Lexington, KY
Report to: Director of Operations
FoodChain forges links between community and fresh food. For over a decade, FoodChain has provided education and demonstration of sustainable food systems to the local Lexington Community. For more information, visit foodchainlex.org.
The Aquaponics Education Assistant will work closely with FoodChain’s Director of Operations and collaborate with the Director of Education to develop, manage, and lead all activities related to Bluegrass Urban Farm Friends (BUFF). The BUFF program increases the ways through which our community can grow, eat, and learn about fresh produce in new and meaningful ways: growing produce year round, learning safe processing procedures, and learning how to think ecologically about the local community and food system. Specifically, this position will provide education around aquaponics in order to increase neighborhood self-sufficiency, diversifying production and education opportunities.
- Work with the Director of Education and Seedleaf Educator to create curriculum and educate others about aquaponics and urban agriculture
- Lead youth ages 8-18 and educators in lessons about aquaponics
- Recruit, install, and work with schools and community centers to provide education for classroom aquaponics systems
- Design and lead “teach the teacher” workshops to provide opportunities for teachers to choose their level of participation in aquaponics education
- Work with the Director of Education, Seedleaf Educator, and additional evaluator to perform program evaluation
- Work with the Director of Education and Seedleaf Educator to develop, implement, and manage a youth advisory council that will be instrumental in leading workshops, directing initiatives, and assisting with the growth of the BUFF program
- Recruit, interview, and manage middle and high school interns for two 8 week sessions per year for 10 hours per week
- Provide tours of FoodChain’s indoor aquaponics farm, in collaboration with other Farm Manager(s) for private groups, school groups, classes, and the general public
- Assist volunteers and interns with aquaponics farm and educational projects as needed
- Work and learn alongside the Aquaponics Farm Manager to understand FoodChain’s current farm operations and how they fit into the educational curriculum.
- Coordinate scheduling with the Farm Manager of all on site tours, visits, classes, workshops, student workers, volunteers or interns.
- Coordinate with the Director of Operations, Director of Education and Outreach, and Farm Manager for scheduling and covering offsite outreach and educational events.
- Strong Knowledge and experience working with agricultural systems (aquaponics, hydroponics, indoor, and urban growing experience preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good collaborator and strong self-manager
- Thorough, organized, reliable, and punctual
- A professional attitude and demeanor
- Strong interpersonal skills and a consistent, solution-oriented, problem solving focus
- Ability to operate effectively in a demanding, public, constantly evolving team environment that requires high energy and flexibility
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Ability to work with diverse populations; sensitive to folks with barriers to employment
- A passion for local food and finding long term solutions to the complexity of food system issues
- Experience working in an educational setting, especially with individuals with limited-resources and barriers to employment (strongly preferred)
- Maintain valid driver’s license and personal vehicle for transportation and travel to offsite locations
- Upon hire, background check will be required
- Associate Degree or experience equivalent
- Preferred language proficiency in one of the following: Spanish, Swahili, Arabic, Nepali, Japanese, French, Mandarin, Kinyarwanda, Korean or Portuguese
This position is partially grant funded for 3 years. Full-time non-exempt with a salary of $33,280. Benefits include PTO (after 90 days of employment), 2 Floating Holidays, ½Health insurance, Holiday Pay, and mileage reimbursement.
Complete Application requires Resume and Cover Letter; References upon request.
Email Resume and Cover Letter to: [email protected]