First build, first grow - want to try cannabis

Hey everyone,

I’m about to get started on building my first system at home. My space is pretty limited here, I have enough room for a 29 gallon aquarium. That should be good for 2-3, I believe. I intend to make a flood and drain media bed. Once I have the system up and cycled I intend to attempt to grow one cannabis plant in it utilizing a dual root zone. I’ve got some questions:

How large of a media bed should I be trying to have? I am only trying to grow one cannabis plant, but I might need to grow lettuce or something along side it for class. Or maybe a media bed is the wrong solution here?

Lighting - What lighting do I need? Looking online it looks like a 200W LED is needed. Is that accurate? What am I looking for?

I don’t know that it’s going to be feasible to get this into a grow tent. Maybe, but I doubt it. If not, is that just the end of that? What can I do to make my living room more hospitable if need be?

I know this may be a bit challenging for my experience level and growing cannabis in a brand new system is not ideal but I’d like to try anyway and I’ll very much appreciate any advice from the community. Thanks!

1 Like

29 gallons is about as small as you can grow if you pack it full of fish for cannabis.

For small scale concrete mixing trays work great.

For a single plant a Spectrum King Mothers little helper or Closet King would work great.

You can absolutely put that all in a grow tent but maybe put the fishtank outside and plumb it into a sump in the tent.

If your looking for more info on aquaponic cannabis check out the Growing With Fishes Podcast on your favorite app or youtube.

It would help if you chose LED lights for plant growth because they provide the full spectrum of light and save energy and should provide at least 20-30 watts per square foot of tank area for plants