Breeding Tilapia and Crayfish

I’m currently breeding and raising Tilapia and Crayfish. I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same in the Association. Maybe do a little sharing of experience?

1 Like

Where are you located?

1 Like

I’m in Western North Carolina

What would you call a cross between a Tilapia and a Crayfish??? Would the Tilapia have claws or the Crayfish a bigger head???

1 Like

Why, Craylapia of course.

I breed tilapia (silver), and I backwash the largest fish feces that I can screen out into a decoupled freshwater tiger prawn tank before the remaining solids go to the swirl filter. The prawn tank is a 1000 gal (heated to 82F) with many bunkbed style layers of netting on two PVC cube frames. This tank has a clarifier, mineralization tank, and biofilter. I live in Stephenville, TX, but I am from Asheville.

3 Likes

Sounds like a sweet setup. Any chance you could post some pics. It’d be cool to see some gopro underwater pics of the prawn setup.

There is a gathering every year called PrepperCamp in NC. Here’s a pic of the Mobil Demo Trailer I take to speak on Aquaponics.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple pics of my current breeding setup using
Aquaponics.
sorry the water is so murky, I’m in the middle of a flush out.

2 Likes

Here’s one from the last batch of Crayfish. For scale, the PVC is 2"

2 Likes

Nice set up. very professional and polished. May be you can visit my facebook page for photos.

Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdaRWd_zrvHTPucjZfizHzQ?fbclid=IwAR2tqQmDMYXOu2tE6L1PaEu7ouDplmF-rLIlABz0KqR-Rr_BcTunPWG0_2A

1 Like

Can you advice online lessons about decoupled aquaponics system ?

I have no recommendations.

Link is to my MeWe page with a video of the 1 month old tilapia in Aquaponics breeding system.
Hope this link is cool. Guess you’ll let me know if it isn’t.

would love to see your system… I am in Throckmorton

1 Like

Looks like 17 hours and you’re here… :grinning:

I would be happy to visit with you. I feed fish every day, so we can always find a time to meet any day of the week. I am in Stephenville.

Hennen

image001.jpg

1 Like